Following is a list of the best gear available to a healing druid pre-raid , in ascending order followed by the total stats of the top items. It is based on the basic assumptions and valuation of stats explained below.
The list is finished by a reevaluation of stats for those druids who have reached the midgame or endgame content to calculate their HEP2 or HEPNAXX.
Items available from quests besides Argent Dawn Rewards might not be taken into account. Drop rates are from atlas loot, so they might differ a little.
- Cassandra’s Grace – 48.1 HEP World Random Drop (AH)
- Insightful Hood – 54.6 HEP DM North 21.46%
- Sanctified Leather Helm – 57.8 HEP Argent Dawn Reward
- Tooth of Gnarr – 22.0 HEP UBRS 16.83%
- Amulet of the Redeemed – 24,6 HEP Strath 14.03&
- Animated Chain Necklace – 36.2 HEP Strath 7.54%
- Mantle of the Scarlet Crusade – 32.4 HEP Strath 16.03%
- Diabolic Mantle – 35.2 HEP DM West 23.12%
- Mantle of Lost Hope – 45.6 HEP BRD 20.48%
- Amplifying Cloak – 18.0 HEP DM West 21.44%
- Cloak of the Cosmos – 34.0 HEP DM West 14.35%
- Hide of the Wild – 49.6 HEP Crafted Tribal LW Item
- Robes of Insight – 52.8 HEP World Random Drop (AH); its special is worth 8.3 mp5 if used on cd
- Forest’s Embrace – 61.9 HEP Quest “A Better Ingredient”
- Robes of the Exalted – 74.3 HEP Strath 11.51%
- Sublime Wristguards – 21.0 HEP DM North 4.14%
- Bleak Howler Armguards – 24.0 HEP LBRS 18.02%
- Bracers of Prosperity – 31.1 HEP DM North 19.15%
- Gloves of Restoration – 44.4 HEP DM East 14.05%
- Hands of the Exalted Herald – 44.4 HEP BRD 11.91%
- Slaghide Gauntlets of Healing – 46.0 HEP LBRS very low chance (+46 heal but no stats)
- Eyestalk Cord – 45.8 HEP DM West 20.08%
- Sash of Mercy – 58.8 HEP World Random Drop (AH)
- Whipvine Cord – 60.4 HEP DM East 16.53% (best by total stats, though Sash of Mercy is preferred)
- Ghoul Skin Leggings – 55.2 HEP Scholo 1.00%
- Abyssal Cloth Pants of Restoration – 67.5 HEP Local Random Drop (AH) (15stam, 6mp5, 1crit, +33heal)
- Padre’s Trousers – 78.0 HEP DM West 18.79%
- Boots of the Full Moon – 38.3 HEP DM North 18.75%
- Faith Healer’s Boots – 38.8 HEP UBRS 12.71%
- Abyssal Cloth Slippers of Restoration – 42.0 HEP Local Random Drop (AH) (10sta, 4mp5, +24heal)
- Ring of Demonic Guile – 30.0 HEP DM East 13.71%
- Band of Mending – 38.4 HEP Strath 17.19%
- Fordring’s Seal – 40.8 HEP Quest “In Dreams”
- Band of Piety – 46.0 HEP Argent Dawn Reward
- Rosewine Circle – 49.0 HEP LBRS 21.48%
- Briarwood Reed – 29.0 HEP UBRS 26.36%
- Draconic Infused Emblem – 38.0 HEP UBRS 4.13%
- Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon – 40.0 HEP Darkmoon Faire Quest
- Mindtap Talisman – 44.0 HEP DM West 7.45%
- Royal Seal of Eldre’Thalas – 44.0 HEP DM Book Quest
- Staff of Metanoia – 48.9 HEP Scholo 8.67%
- Guiding Stave of Wisdom – 58.2 HEP BRD 15.01%
- Redemption – 69.6 HEP Strath 7.04%
- Energetic Rod – 17.0 HEP DM East 15.94%
- Hammer of Revitalization – 27.0 HEP DM East 13.65%
- The Hammer of Grace – 31.0 HEP BRD 21.29%
- Brightly Glowing Stone – 38.4 HEP DM North 20.21%
- Tome of Divine Right – 45.8 HEP LBRS 20.81%
- Lei of the Lifegiver – 65.0 HEP Alterac Valley Exalted
- Idol of Rejuvenation – 50.0 HEP LBRS 12.87% (affecting rejuvenation only)
The best items for each slot from the list above leave you with total +stats of 62 stamina, 94 intellect, 34 spirit, 42 mana per 5 seconds, 0 crit and 553 +healing.
Combined with the useful +heal enchants for such gear level (i.e. 24 +heal on bracers, 55 +heal on weapon, 30 +heal on gloves, 8 +heal on head, 8 +heal on legs) you will end up with an amazing 678 +heal and 42mp5 in total unbuffed.
The maximum enchants (i.e. 24 +heal on head and legs from ZG enchant instead of +8 from DM arcanum and 33 +heal on shoulders from ZG exalted enchant) will increase you even to 743 +heal unbuffed pre-raid.
The stats most important to a healing druid at the beginning of raiding are +heal and mp5, followed by int, spirit, crit and stam.
Reasons are as follows: +heal increases your healing and makes downranking more effective, which helps to save mana. Mp5 increases mana reg and is just cheaper than spirit in terms of itemization . Int increases your starting mana pool, meaning its more efficient in short fights than in longer ones; also it gives crit. Spirit increases mana reg. Crit effectively increases heal, but we don’t like it yet (in a starting 5 0 46 specc), cause its wasted overheal most of the time. Stamina is basically useless for us, but we can’t heal, when we are dead.
Valuation of stats
The exact valuation and weighting of the stats is, as always, a question of taste and playing style.
I calculated them in healing equivaleny points (HEP) based on the following: 1 +heal is worth 1 +heal (of course :-D); 1mp5 is worth 4 +heal; 1 int is worth 0,6 +heal; 1 spirit is worth 0,3 +heal; 1 crit is worth 7,5 +heal; and 1 stam is worth 0,2 +heal.
Or, in short: +heal=1; mp5=4; int=0,6; spirit=0,3; crit=7,5; stam=0,2.
Reevaluation of stats (HEP2 and HEPNAXX)
Later, in the midgame content with 3/8 t2 bonus, the value of spirit doubles in relation to mp5. From that point on, +heal becomes even more efficient as the bigger mana pool and higher manareg decreases the importance of int and spirit/mp5. Stamina is worth nothing anymore, because you will have enough life to survive anyway.
These changes are reflected best by a second value for the midgame content i call HEP2, based on a reevaluation of stats as follows:
+heal=1; mp5=3; int=0,3; spirit=0,45; crit=10; stam=0.
Then in the endgame content with t3 and a 24 0 27 specc, crit finally becomes more valuable, whilst spirit is cut down half again, as soon as you replace 3/8 t2 with 4/9 t3. Also, the importance of +heal rises even more because you will mostly rely on cheap low ranked healing touches now.
These final changes are reflected by a third value for the endgame content i call HEPNAXX, based on another reevaluation of stats as follows:
+heal=1,2; mp5=3; int=0,3; spirit=0,225; crit=12; stam=0.